By: Dr. Deborah Gordon, February 4, 2014
Snacks & Finger Foods
Cocoa has been found to confer many health benefits, particularly for blood pressure and other markers of cardiovascular fitness and best when it’s not combined with an excessive sugar indulgence! Here is a great way to enjoy a daily aliquot of unsweetened cocoa.
- 1 cup almond butter (I use raw, unsalted, creamy)
- 1 cup coconut butter*
- ½ cup unsweetened cacao (Dagoba’s is delish and fair trade)
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ cup chopped hazelnuts or almonds (OR use chunky almond butter)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ cup finely shredded Coconut (or grated flesh from a real coconut)
In a double boiler or over low heat, heat the almond and coconut butter jars so the butters are soft and can be measured out into a larger bowl. Add cacao, chopped nuts, and salt.
Use the coconut oil to grease the bottom of a baking dish (smaller dish yields thicker squares, I make thin squares in an 8 X 12 size) and sprinkle half the shredded coconut over the oil. Gently pour in the fudge mixture, spreading evenly with a (greased) spatula. Sprinkle the rest of the coconut flakes on top.
Chill for an hour and the cocoa-coconut mixture will set up nicely so you can cut it into squares and remove from pan. Store squares in the fridge until you want to eat one. I cut squares about 1 inch on a side and consider my daily dose to be one or two squares!
*There are many brands of almond butter and coconut butter, many of which are tasty, but among coconut butters, I definitely prefer the one made by Artisana.
- Ice Cream Keto
- Basic Mayonnaise and more
- Chicken Liver Mousse
- CoCo Bars
- Creamy Paté
- Persimmon Soup
- Sauteed Red Cabbage with Cheese
- 10 Non-Muffin Ways to Enjoy Blueberries
- Grilled Summer Supper
- Post Workout Smoothie
- Easiest Roasted Chicken
- Beef Heart Chili
- Hearty Greens Soup
- Chicken Liver Pate with Pzazz!
- Sprouting Seeds and Grains
- Liver Pate
- Crispy Nuts
- Whey and Cream Cheese